Wednesday 18 June 2008

Northward bound


After the last few days, I decided it was high time to get out of KL. I even looked in to getting a visa for Pakistan here but it would take several days and mean staying till after the weekend. I was told there I could get one no problem though but figured (to my cost as I later found out) I'd just get it in Bangkok.


So, in a move reminiscent of leaving Rio Gallegos in Argentina (where I got a sheared fork as I was desperately trying to leave), as soon as I got my passport back with my Indian visa, I left KL around 4.30pm. Keen to make some miles, I rode through heavy rain and into the dark, finaly stopping in Taiping. I noticed that all the garages had queues reaching round the blocks and wondered what was up. A local chap on a scooter called Roslee helped me find some accommodation (though unfortunately it was a bit of a dump with a shower that didn't work) explained that the Malaysian government were putting the fuel price up by 41% overnight. For me, it was already pretty cheap at 1.92RM/L (about 30p) but it hit the local pockets pretty hard. A week or so later, I was reading an article in the Bankok Post about the price hike and in order to quell the increasing local anger, the Malaysian government ministers selflessly offered to cut their entertainment budget by 10%... I hadn't been feeling totally terrific the last few days and the stuff I saw in the night market made me want to gag (black eggs which I believe are partly formed embrios or something) so I'll admit opting for KFC on this ocassion for my dinner.



Draining my 'waterproof' boots after a little shower


I'd intended on riding to Penang, having a quick look round then maybe hitting the Thai border that same day. Instead, I got chatting to Lim on a huge BMW 1200 at some traffic lights. It turned out, Lim ran the BMW Motorrad shop in Georgetown and he invited me to come to the shop. Despite my bikes nimble size, it was no mean feat trying to keep up with Lim on the 1200 through the traffic. Finally we pulled up outside a pristine air conditioned BMW shop and at Lims behest, I was soon helping myself to chilled water and free sandwiches. After giving me recomendations on what to see in Thailand, he showed me the way into town to a very nice guest house called Blue Diamond and promised to return with some spare parts for my bike. Unfortunately as it turned out, the nice new K&N air filter he gave me was for an earlier model DR so didn't fit however the spare clutch cable does appear to fit and he also goave me a long sleaved top with his local club logo which I thought would be perfect for riding in the sun instead of my heavy jacket.








Nice colours during Penang sunset

Luckily, this time the accommodation tip was a good one despite there being one or two TW's (Travelwank (noun): bongo banging, didgeriedoo blowing, dreadlocked, fire dancing erm 'traveler' type who will say things like "uh man, you were like soooo ripped off paying 70p for a room'') who persisted in attempting to 'fire dance' in the garden. The main entertainment though was provided by Mr Leg who sang and played guitar on the purpose built stage they had there. Leg cut a mean figure, tall with a long black mullet hairstyle, skintight jeans, rock 'n roll spangly belt and a waistcoat. He sung hunched over his guitar and sounded not totally unlike Captain Beefheart. Such was his original style that it was around 2 minutes into the first song when I finally realised it was actually Rod Stewart's 'I am sailing' that he was singing. The following night, there was a jam happening with a few other locals turning up and Leg asked me if I wanted to join in. I actually did, but was still feeling a little rough so opted out. It turned out to be a nice night and also Leg's birthday to which he sang 'Happy Birthday to Me' and his young daughter handed out cake to everybody.


"It's a lovely room, don't get me wrong, but do you

maybe have anything a little more, erm, 'hardcore'?"

No comments: