Monday 2 June 2008

Gettin' my wheels back again


Once again my fellow HUBBers came to the rescue in the shape of Dean, a UK ex-pat living in KL and after a tremendous piss up, I was shown yet more generous hospitality at their beautiful home while in town waiting to clear my bike from Port Klang, around 40kms away from the city though will freely admit having a slight 'where the fuck am I?' moment upon waking up in Deans place with a bit of a hangover the following morning!


Grrrrrr!

After many phone calls and emails to the UK, I have to also give a big thanks to Paul Gowen of the RAC and Ashley Plane from my bank (Virgin One) in helping me get my Carnet sorted, underwritten by my bank and couriered out to the shipping agent here. In fact, the carnet arrived the day before the container the bike was emptied so that was actually great timing.


Still in bits


If you're not particuilarly interested in clearing proceedure skip this bit but basically involved the following:

1. Go to shipping agents office, pay about 300rms (about $90), and pick up the much anticipated Carnet and some port paperwork.

2. Go to Customs office (Lance at my shipping office kindly gave me some maps of the port) just outside of North Port in Port Klang. Give them the Carnet, which they duly filled in (though not until their lunch hour was finished) and answer lots of questions like why am I traveling alone (because), isn't it expensive to travel round the world (yes) etc. They didn't even want to inspect the crate which I was rather surprised at.

3. Take the Carnet with now completed section for Malaysia over to the relevant warehouse office in North Port (the office was in B2 & the crate in B4), pay a fee of 19rm (about $6) and then I had my clearance paperwork to take to the warehouse boss. Once he was happy, I got them to move the crate to a quiet corner while I dismantled the metal crate and put the bike back together again. I'll admit enlisting the help of some of the workers while I got the front wheel back on as the bike has no centre stand making it slightly tricky on your own.

4. Ride bike plus luggage through the port gates without getting asked for clearance paperwork as I should have been.

5. All in all, the total shipping from Melbourne to KL was approximately $400 all in and took just over 2 weeks. The crate I got given free my the shipping company I used in Melbourne (Trade Lanes).




Ok, lets roll!!

No comments: